Thursday, March 15, 2007

reflected puddles

I left my room in the late morning and the ground was covered in gravel. I walked from Kringsja to the University. And the ground was covered in tiny bits of gravel and all the snow has melted. So the sidewalks are littered with pools \ puddles of water and the sun has been shining since 7:30. I was up at nine, showered, talked to Devaraj. Which has been good since he seems to be on around when I wake up. Telling me about the day, the haps.

I walked listening to The Killers album and nodded along squinting at the bright day. Everything laid out clean and new. So many people were out. And the trees were forming buds. I had a small jacket but took it off about halfway there just getting warm and the breeze was nice. I like using my two legs instead of taking the train. Not that I'm this guy all into hating on machines and technology and transportation. As if, 'You are fucking up the enviroment.' Na, its cool, I just like walking because it takes longer and I like to pass the time just underneath the sky and breathing in the fresh air.

Oslo is a very beautiful place. More so when the sun is out and the blue is overhead and just walking about with small red and yellow houses. With wood doors and people chatting about their cars, which sit proudly in their driveways. Pretty girls sitting on steps with their cellphones and kids jamming along to music.

The day before I was on the phone. And then simaltenously I was looking out the window and all of a sudden I saw something fall. I muttered to myself that fuck! Oslo must have gotten too much for someone. Because it came from the top of the high roof of the building across from me. I couldn't focus on the conversation and then staring out I realized that birds were leaping off the building. But suicide style. They would just fall off the ledge and at the very last second--they did this as they were level with the cars in the parking lot--they would spread their wings and glide away. Each bird taking its turn while the rest watched. They were bird base jumping. So I just sat there watching them and thinking that those are some crazy fucking birds.

Now, walking here, at school. The computer lab is full and I'm hungry so will be out looking for something to eat. All the kids smoking cigarettes on the stoops and steps and ladders of the university. All positioned in yellow rays and conversing away in Norwegian.

I printed out my assignments and tickets. Tomorrow Alex and I are going to Tromso up in the Artic Circle to try and catch the Northern Lights. But I think our luck might not hold out. And the trip will end up us standing on some cliff all night until the sun comes up without seeing a thing.

Amsterdam on the 18th of April.

---
i get my glory in the desert rain

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

UNLV beat Georgia Tech....now to play Wisconsin!

Devo

Anonymous said...

Make that an upset over WISCONSIN! On to St. Louis to play OREGON...SWEET 16 BABY!