Thursday, September 07, 2006

town excerpt 1

Working on The Funeral Procession. Taking a break. Its so much in front of me all the time and I just look at it and get tired. I need energy. Or something. I don’t know what. Was going to go climbing but the weather is shite. The air conditioner is starting to piss me off because of the sound it makes. I really don’t like suburbia. It bothers me; it reminds me of being itchy. Jake could relate if you threw him in a pile of grass clippings.
---
Yesterday we wandered around for bit up on the north hill where the cemetery meets the airport. There is a great big chain link fence that wraps around; it’s supposed to be the dividing line. Its dumb as a barrier; kids like me are the only ones who want to muck around in both places and a chain link fence isn’t going to stop us. You put up a ten foot wall that is smooth on both sides and your getting somewhere. But no one who weighs three hundred pounds is going to try and climb much of anything so that fence is pointless. I can hop it and get to the tarmacs if I want.

We ate lunch near the pond at the break of tombstones and cremation urns. The urns are stored in a huge vault near oak trees that line the entrance. I think they put the pond in just to entertain all the old people that come walking on through. I don’t really smile when I see them. I don’t like old people and I wish they didn’t like me. Instead they try and sucker you into stuff. And I guess I am supposed to feel bad but what the hell. When you were young did you like old people--Old person?

Alongside the western edge we planted some sunflowers and then watched em’ grow for a bit. They didn’t do anything in the ground and we got bored so monkeyed a bit in the trees and walked back out hopping over the fence and signing our names on the abandoned outhouse that sits in the middle of the desert. There isn’t anything for miles around. Mountains creep off into the distance. If you had a horse you could actually make it somewhere new but on foot you just have to wander back into town. We smoked for a bit in the alley and crushed our cigarettes out when someone walked by.

I am eighteen but Sara is still underage and people like to give us both crap. I don’t mind really because I like to yell at people. They are all dumb anyways and I don’t care. Sara might cry though and I love her so it’s stupid to do it any other way. We talk about the cemetery when we are through and I drop her off at her house before walking home with my hands in my pockets. I whistle the thieving magpie and smoke again before I go inside.

---
i want it all to have happened, but then i'd be dead.

No comments: